Cloister in Los Arcos on the Camino de Santiago

Cloister in Los Arcos on the Camino de Santiago

Friday, February 11, 2011

One step nearer


Our little team is taking shape. We expect to have at least four pilgrims commence the walk in St Jean Pied De Port on May 16th. My son Dan may join us via Barcelona (some short cut..)and my cousin Norman may keep us company as far as Pamplona. All in all it seems a nice number - small enough to be intimate, and varied enough to be interesting. Pat is hoping to raise money for an orphanage he visited while working briefly in Haiti. My wife is undecided whether to give her contribution to Dan or to me, but as it goes to same cause it doesn't really matter.

I popped into town to meet the nice people of Haven today. I missed Angela who had informed she would be out working, but met Sara who gave me tee shirts (has medium shrunk or am I expanding?!). Frank explained to me what was happneing on the ground in Haiti. Louise suggested we start a blog. On that matter we are a little ahead of the posse (for once) and hopefully we can bag some nice photos en route.

Those of the party approaching or exceeding the golden age of 60 (our average age is not far from 55 despite Dan being half that) feel we may have aged 10 years since our last assault 5 years ago. Accordingly we have plans to go into serious training - I will organise some walks around Howth and Greystones to whip us into shape. We can wear our Haven tee shirts to frighten off the dogs.

The Murrays will host a farewell party for pilgrims and supporters on Saturday 14th of May when Spanish food and wine will be provided in anticipation of the lack of food and wine in the days that will follow. We plan a reunion and thanksgiving to coincide with my 60th Birthday, on July 28th. Invitees will include anyone who still owes us sponsorship.

I am pleased to note that I received my first sum of money during the week from Philip. On hearing my story, Niall cycled back to offer me sponsorship. Two down, ninety eight to go...

We may run a quiz night to raise funds. We will entertain any other ideas that make money or more importantly raise the profile of Haiti.

We will probably have even fewer friends at the end of this episode of shaking them down. We are concerned that world has moved on from Haiti to other problems, some nearer home. Hopefully, by the time we reach the end of the walk we will know a little more about Haiti, about Spain and about ourselves.

Hasta Pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment