Cloister in Los Arcos on the Camino de Santiago

Cloister in Los Arcos on the Camino de Santiago

Monday, May 30, 2011

Day Two - The Pyrenees



DAY TWO - 17th May - In the Pyrenees.












Daniel admiring the view back towards St Jean

We climbed for the next three hours, and climbed, and climbed. Daniel was simply obeying his mother when he chose to look after me – the straggler. Five years older than in 2006 and four daily tablets more, so I was determined to climb the Pyrenees and to walk the Camino – at my pace. Others, some younger and some older arrived a full hour ahead of me.

On our way we met and tried to assist Enrique (was it Enrique?) – Well I am sure he was from Venezuela and he was certainly riding a bicycle until he took the sensible decision to get down off the bike and walk up like everyone else.

We had heard of frightening stories of people getting lost in the list the mists of the Pyrenees; of pilgrims falling to their death when taking the wrong turn. Had we not seen The Way starring Martin Sheen?

But today the mountain was to be a pussycat; clothed in emerald green and looking staggeringly beautiful. A German pilgrim asked me if Ireland was not like that? Yes, Ireland is beautiful, I replied, but the Pyrenees are uber beautiful.






No comments:

Post a Comment